- Wednesday, July 22nd – 7PM : THE HISTORY OF JAZZ
Join CT musician, Vincent Cassotta, as he delivers an educational and entertaining concert for the whole family featuring all types of jazz, from Dixieland through modern jazz and jazz rock. Please note that this program will be held in the Andover Congregational Church’s air-conditioned sanctuary (across the street from the library).
- Friday, August 14th – 6:30PM : GRASS ROUTES BLUEGRASS
Celebrate summer with a free concert from one of Connecticut’s premier Bluegrass bands, GrassRoutes (http://www.grassroutesbluegrass.com/). For nearly 30 years, this group has been performing all over New England, and has appeared on many radio and TV programs, and at concerts in coffee houses, festivals, and other venues. GrassRoutes performs a broad range of songs from traditional Bluegrass to more contemporary
folk and country material. Bring your chair, blanket, and lots of family and friends to this fine, free concert. Location: the Town Gazebo on School Road (in front of Andover Elementary School). In the event of rain, the show will be held in the new Community Room in the Town Hall.
In addition to these events, we have several reading programs (with incentives) for both children and adults. Our challenge for the family is the program known as ICE CREAM FOR BOOKS. Read this summer, and keep count of the number of pages you’ve read – 2,000 pages for kids up to age 14, and 4,000 pages for those older than 14. Read what you like, but books must be borrowed from the Andover Public Library. If you’re able to reach the goal, you’ll get a voucher for a free ice cream sundae at the GrassRoutes Bluegrass show on August 14th. When you visit the library, be sure to note the sizes of the two “cones” we’re building, as our challenge is to see who can make a bigger ice cream by reading this summer – the adults or the kids. Thanks to the Friends of the Library for sponsoring the Bluegrass show and the ice cream goodies that will be available.
Other reading incentives for kids include programs from the Connecticut Defenders, as well as Applebee’s.
Don’t forget that there are lots of museum passes available for you to borrow this summer from places as varied as the Basketball Hall of Fame, Mystic Aquarium, the Roger Williams Zoo, and the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art. Passes may be borrowed and used to receive discounted or free admission to these and other area museums. A complete list of available museum passes is posted in the library. If you have any questions about borrowing procedures, please visit the library or call us at 742-7428.
On June 22nd, we hosted a very nice book discussion featuring Rhode Island author, Edward Hardy, and his second novel, Keeper And Kid. Twelve lively and enthusiastic patrons kept the discussion rolling, and it’s safe to say that a fine time was had by all. Our next book discussion will be held on Monday, July 27th, and will feature Bill Bryson’s recap of his travels along the Appalachian Trail in A Walk In The Woods. Copies of the book are available at the desk – please ask for one, and be sure to join us at 6:30PM on July 27th.
Don’t forget that the library is not open on Saturdays from July 1st through Labor Day. We’ll be open again on Saturdays beginning on September 12th.
Have a great summer, and be sure to visit us at the library soon!
Monday, July 20, 2009
Is summer finally here? It hasn’t really felt much like summer, but the calendar tells us it is! In the library, that means summer reading and summer reading programs have arrived. If you’re not sure what’s going on, here’s a little refresher:
We have a variety of museum passes available to patrons, and these will grant you free or reduced admission to a lot of area museums. To check one out, you need a valid Andover PL card with no outstanding fines. Here's the rundown of what we have:
- Basketball Hall Of Fame – Springfield, MA – Pass allows for discounted admission of $12 Adults & $8 Children for up to 6 people. [Regular admission prices: Adults $16.99; Seniors (65+) $13.99; Youth (ages 5-15) $11.99; free (age 4 & younger)]. FRIENDS OF ANDOVER LIBRARY GIFT.
- The Children’s Museum – West Hartford – Pass allows for one free admission for every paid admission, adults or children. [Regular admission prices: $11 (ages 2-62); $10 (age 63+); free (under age 2)]. FRIENDS OF ANDOVER LIBRARY GIFT.
- Connecticut River Museum – Essex – Pass allows for free admission for 2 Adults & their Children or Grandchildren. [Regular admission prices: $8 Adults; $7 Seniors; $5 Children (ages 6-12)]. FRIENDS OF ANDOVER LIBRARY GIFT.
- Connecticut State Parks & Forests – Waives parking fees at any of the state’s 137 parks and forests. The pass is valid for any private passenger vehicle carrying fewer than 12 passengers. Also valid for free admission for 2 Adults & 4 Children at Dinosaur, Fort Trumbull, and Gillette Castle State Parks.
- Eric Carle Museum Of Picture Book Art – Amherst, MA – Pass allows for free admission for 2 Adults & 4 Children. [Regular admission prices: $9 Adults; $6 Seniors (age 65+); $6 Youth (ages 1-18); $6 Students & Teachers with current ID]. FRIENDS OF ANDOVER LIBRARY GIFT.
- Mashantucket Pequot Museum & Research Center – Mashantucket – Pass is valid for $5 off admission for up to 2 Adults & 2 Children OR 1 Adult & 3 Children. [Regular admission prices: $15 Adults (ages 16-54); $13 Seniors (age 55+); $13 Children (ages 6-15); free (age 5 & younger)]. FRIENDS OF ANDOVER LIBRARY GIFT.
- Mystic Aquarium Institute for Exploration – Mystic – Discounts for admission for 2 Adults & 2 Children. With the pass, save $4 off Adult admission (limit of 2) and $3 off Child (ages 3-17) admission (limit of 2). [Regular admission prices: $24 Adults; $21 Seniors (age 60+); $18 Children (ages 3-17); free admission for Children ages 2 & younger].
- New Britain Museum Of American Art – New Britain – Free admission for any 4 people (no age restrictions). [Regular admission prices: $9 Adults; $8 Seniors; $7 Students; Admission for Children ages 11 & younger is free]. FRIENDS OF ANDOVER LIBRARY GIFT.
- New England Air Museum – Windsor Locks – Reduced admission of $5 each for 2 Adults or Seniors and free admission for 2 Children (ages 4-11). Children age 3 and younger always receive free admission. [Regular admission prices: $10 Adults; $9 Seniors (age 65+); $5 Children (ages 4-11); free admission for Children ages 3 & younger].
- Roger Williams Park Zoo – Providence, RI – Reduced discounted admission of 50% off for up to 4 Adults, Seniors, and/or Children. During January-June & September-December, the discounted rate is $6 Adults; $4 Seniors; $3 Children. During July & August, the discounted rate is $9 Adults; $6 Seniors; $5 Children. [Regular admission prices: $12 Adults; $8 Seniors (age 62+); $6 Children (ages 3-12)].
- Wadsworth Atheneum – Hartford – Free general admission to the museum for 2 Adults & 2 Children (ages 6-17). [Regular admission prices: $10 Adults; $8 Seniors (age 62+); $5 Students (ages 13 through college students with ID); Free admission for children age 12 and under].